Bhuri Singh Museum is a hidden gem in Chamba and a must see for any serious visitor to Dalhousie and Chamba. The museum is a storage of the original hill art and statuary.Buri Singh, Raja of the Chamba was an imaginary, and he realized the importance of preserving ancient artifacts. He donated the Royal Collection to the museum. Then, he hired a reputed, British scholar and archaeologist, Mr.JP Vogel as a first curator of museums.
From the 6th century AD and onwards, this museum provides an expanded view of the traditions and history of the Chamba people
Bhuri Singh Museum at Chamba begins formally on 14-09-1908, it is nominated after Raja Bhuri Singh who ruled Chamba from 1904 to 1919. Bhuri Singh donated his family collection of paintings to the museum. The idea to open a museum for peoples came from J.PH. Vogel, a reputed Indologist who was sharing A.S.I. And who through a deep research had retraced, read and analyzed old inscriptions diffused far and wide in the territory of Chamba State. These inscriptions mostly in Sarda script shed important light on the mediaeval history of Chamba. The prasastis of Sarahan, Devi-RI-Kothi and mulKihar are now preserved in the museum.
Paintings of the Bhagwat Purana and Ramayana in special style are inspired by Basohli idiom of painting whereas Krishna, Sudama, Rukmini Vivah and Usha-Anirudh and portraits in prime Guler-Kangra style was executed by the artists who were protected by the Chamba rulers. Chamba is famous for the embroidery work. The embroidered Chamba-Rumals are related in style since their drawings and art were made by Pahari painters although the embroidery was done by the household women.
Except these prime items of collections, there are coins, hill jewelry and costumes- both traditional and royal, arms and armor, musical instruments and various lovely ornamental objects. This ancient museum building which merged nicely with the Chamba landscape was pulled down and the present concrete monolith was inaugurated in 1975. The museum remains open from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM in the whole year and remain close on Monday and other gazetted holidays.